Why so many Gulf of Mexico hurricanes in 2021 and 2020?

General discussions on topics with no assigned section. Posting interesting weather-related information to this section is the best way to get a new section added.
EasternNC

Why so many Gulf of Mexico hurricanes in 2021 and 2020?

Post by EasternNC »

I am an avid weather watcher trying to learn more about cyclones and I noticed that in 2020 and 2021 the Gulf of Mexico saw a lot of hurricanes and tropical storms compared to the Atlantic Ocean, and that in years before this time period there were a lot in the Atlantic.

I also noticed that storms coming up through the Caribbean were at a lower longitude in 2020 and 2021, why is this?
Monitor
Site Admin

Re: Why so many Gulf of Mexico hurricanes in 2021 and 2020?

Post by Monitor »

Your observations are correct, in 2018 and 2019 it was Dorian and Florence for the Atlantic, then in 2020 and 2021 it was Hurricane Laura, Delta, and Ida which ravaged the Gulf between Lake Charles and New Orleans.

Weather patterns for the time period we're discussing in this post shows there was a strong La Niña in place, along with a deeply entrenched Jet Stream, and prominent and strong Bermuda High which kept all storms on a more southerly track in the Caribbean.

While I had a hard time finding data on the trade winds for this time period, it's likely they were more conducive for a more southern track into the Gulf of Mexico.

As you learn more, watch for a strong and prominent Bermuda High as storms leave Africa, and that will give you some insights on steering and track.